I am writing this so that my kids can remember how much there Grandma Schelle loved them and how much they loved her. I also want us to be able to remember this last week and the special expreiences we've had as a family. I havn't recieved any of the pictures yet from the funeral but will post when I do.
CAMDEN: Camden LOVED his Grandma Schelle! Recently we had booked a trip to Jamaica (Camden calls it "Maica")and the boys were suppossed to stay with LaSchelle that week while we are gone. It's not until November but Camden has been SO excited that he gets to go stay with his Grandma that everytime he sees our book on Jamaica he runs up to us and says, "mommy when you and daddy go to Maica I get to stay at Grandma Schelles!" I don't know how much he understands from all of this. He now says that Grandma is at the temple/heaven(he thinks these are the same places I think) with Ethan and Jesus. This morning he came up to me and said, "mommy I miss Grandma Schelle." It's so sad for me to know what he is going to be missing out on. She was an AMAZING grandma and loved Camden and Cade so much. Before the viewing we were trying to prepare Camden that he was going to see Grandma but she would look like she was sleeping and she wouldn't be able to talk to him. Still, he was so excited that he was going to be able to see her. When we got to the viewing he ran up to the casket and said "hi Grandma Schelle!", then he touched her face and said, "Grandma you so cold." The next day when we arrived at the church for the funeral he knew he was going to be able to see Grandma again and he was the first one to run straight into the viewing room up to her casket. He was so normal about it all like it was just as exciting to see her that way-at least he got to see her. I know he doesn't understand everything. He asked why they were going to put Grandma in the ground. Then some things seem so normal to him. He's never once referred to Steve and LaSchelle's house as anything except Grandma Schelle's house until this past week when he started calling it Grandpa Steve's house. He does get the fact that she is not there anymore. I wish I could explain how much the boys meant to her so that one day when they are older and they don't remember her they can realize how important they were to her. She always came to our house with presents or clothes for the boys and she was so good at getting right down on the floor with them and playing. She never made them feel like they were in the way or that she was too busy or too tired to play with them. She ALWAYS played with them and was excited to do so. At Christmas she would come with TONS of presents for them that she shopped all year round for. She would always say to Camden, "Who's bunzies are these?!" while she was pinching his bum and he would reply very bashfully, "Grandma Schelle's bunzies" Then later if Creston or I would try to say they were our bunzies he would get so mad and yell, "These not your bunzies, these Grandma Schelle's bunzies!".
CADE: Cade loved his Grandma Schelle as well! I don't have any cute things that he said since he can't say too much yet:) but he would ALWAYS go to her. She gave us a hard time about referring to him as, "baby". She thought we should call him by his name. Creston referred to that in his talk at the funeral that if he was throwing a fit or acting up she would say, "well if you would stop calling him baby he wouldn't act like a baby!" She thought Cade was so sweet and so cute. When he was 2 weeks old and started to have what we thought were siezures we had rushed him in to the hospital where they started doing all sorts of tests on him. Creston and I were having such a hard time watching our sweet baby being poked at. He was just screaming so hard that I couldn't even stand to stay in the room anymore. Then, LaSchelle shows up. We had no idea she was driving down and we hadn't been at the hospital for very long so she must have left right away. She went in and held and comforted Cade and was there for us the whole time. She was such a great Grandma. When Cade was born she was at our house waiting for us when we got home from the hospital and she stayed with us that first week to help out after my c-section. She not only took care of Camden and Cade but she would cook, clean, and do laundry the whole week as well. She never made us feel like she didn't want to be there-she always acted as if she loved it. Cade was lucky enough to have his Grandma Schelle at his 2nd birthday party the month before she passed. We had a pool party for him at a hotel in Safford and she was in the middle of her week taking care of her mom in Thatcher. She was able to get away for a little while and make it to his party. She, of course, brought with her presents and a skirt and 3 ties she had sewed for us so we could match on Easter!
CYNTHIA: I remember when Creston and I first got married and I started noticing just how often Creston would call his mom. He would call her about everything and I remember thinking it was kind of wierd. It wasn't until we had our boys that I realized how great it was. I hope that one day my boys will want me to be just as involved in their lives as LaSchelle was in ours. LaSchelle was an example to me in so many ways but there were two things that always stuck out to me and I always noticed about her. The first is service. I remember just about every time she would come down to the valley she and Steve would be fixing something at Adam's or our house or they would be helping to paint or decorate. Always something. They never wanted to just relax on their trips like most people would. LaSchelle not only would do all these things but she would be excited about them. I remember one time we were getting a new room ready for Camden so he could move to a big boy bed. Steve and LaSchelle had come down and it was like 10:00 at night when we were showing her the room. She got an idea of how to make the blue and red diamonds around the room by using a pizza box. She got so excited about it that she kept us all up until like 12:00 or 12:30 to get it all finished. She had endless amounts of energy. Another moment that Creston mentioned at the funeral was about when Camden was born. We were so tired when he was finally born because it was such a long labor and it ended in a c-section. We were too nervous to send him to the nursery that first night because we wanted him in the room with us but we wanted sleep too! Creston asked LaSchelle if she would stay in the room with us that night. She said yes and stayed the whole night sitting up in an uncomfortable rocking chair-holding Camden-while we slept. I couldn't believe that she was willing to do that for us. One time Creston and I both came down with a really bad case of strep throat at the same time. LaSchelle had called to see how we were doing and then a few hours later she was there at our house. She had driven down just to help with the kids so we could rest. It was amazing! Just a few weeks ago LaSchelle did another act of service for us that I was amazed by. Since living in Morenci there are no stores around and it is hard to shop for the boys clothes. They had no summer clothes that fit and it was getting pretty hot out. LaSchelle said she would go do the shopping for us if we made her a list of what they needed. I always loved the clothes she would pick out for my kids so I was super excited that she was willing to do this. She, of course, came back with TONS of clothes that were so cute and she stayed within our price limit. I was amazed. The second trait that I always noticed about LaSchelle is her marraige to Steve and the way she interacted with him. I remember Creston telling me he had never seen his parents fight and I remember thinking, "ya right"! I found that to be true though-I never saw them fight either. Not only did they not fight, there was never tension in the room or annoyances with each other. LaSchelle taught me, by example, how to have a good marriage. She also taught me how to sew a few things and make baby blankets. She would always have a new recipe that she would be way excited about and I'm lucky enough to have learned a few of those. I wish we could have had more time with LaSchelle. She was a great mother-in-law and an amazing grandma. I'm so sad for my kids that they probobly won't remember her. I want them to know how loved they were by her! She was always excited to talk to them on the phone or listen to stories of funny things they'd done. Whenever we would go to Snowflake she would have treats waiting for them and she would be so excited to see them.
CRESTON:
12 years ago
2 comments:
Cynthia. I am so sorry about LaSchelle. I always refer to her as my Snowflake mom because when we moved to Az and stayed in Snowflake for a year she and Steve were such a blessing to us. She will be missed by so many and truely was a great person. I loved reading all of your memories of her. You are spot on. She is such a great person.
What an amazing woman Lashelle was/is. What a sweet post in her honor! Hope you guys are doing ok.
Post a Comment